Three reasons your first second home should be a ski development
Having conquered urban condos and island escapes, luxury developers and branded residences are setting their sights even higher: to the alpine resorts of the world’s top ski areas. We bring you three new developments that represent, ahem, the peak of ski property living: Pendry Residences in Park City, Utah, Six Senses Residences Courchevel, and Yu Kiroro in Hokkaido.
Mulled wine at the ready…
Pendry Residences Park City, Utah
Boutique luxury hotel brand Pendry exploded onto the travel scene with dazzling redevelopments in San Diego and Baltimore. Their rapid expansion plans into New York, Washington and West Hollywood also include a greenfields project in Park City, Utah. Pendry has tapped SB Architects to produce a sumptuous yet modern ski lodge that touches on the traditional log cabin along with the area’s rich mining history.
Today’s resort homeowners want more than just a home; they gravitate toward spaces to gather and entertain friends, where they can access outdoor activities, have memorable meals, and enjoy the art and culture that shape a locale.Scott Lee, president and principal, SB Architects
Pendry Residences Park City details:
– Number of units: 150
– Launch date: Winter 2021
– Facilities: Spa for the adults, arcade games for kids, rooftop pool / bar for everyone, and a host of dining options
– Mountain access: Ski in, lift out
– Location: Pendry Residences Park City is a 40-minute drive from Salt Lake City International Airport
– Pricing: Studios start at S$612k, ranging through to four-bedroom units which start at $3.95m
Can we tempt you with:
Year-round appeal. Park City is not only home to the country’s largest ski area, but also the Sundance Film Festival – as well as breweries, distilleries, shopping, dining and art experiences.
address: 3720 N Sundial Ct, Park City, UT 84098, USA
Six Senses Residences, Courchevel 1850
One of the world’s top ski destinations, and part of Les Trois Vallées – the world’s largest ski area – Courchevel 1850 needs little introduction. It’s equally well known for its après scene of Michelin-starred dining, luxury shopping and celebrity-spinkled nightlife.
Six Senses Residences Courchevel represents a luxurious addition to this glamorous alpine setting, combining a famed hospitality brand with a spectacular location and world-class design. The stunning interiors by Alain Foeillet (with optional furniture packages by Morpheus London) give onto generous balconies with sweeping mountain views. The apartments offer unrivalled amenities such as a bespoke wine cellar, private sauna and hammam, along with open fireplaces, dedicated ski lockers, private car parking and storage caves.
And while the style is mountain inspired and made from organic timbers and stone, the residences are also smart homes, and come with finger-print tech and remote management through smart devices.
Six Senses Residences Courchevel details:
– Number of units: 53, including 10 duplex penthouses
– Launch date: Launched
– Facilities: Where do we begin? The renowned Six Senses Spa, of course, alongside indoor pools, fitness, club, the list goes on
– Mountain access: Dedicated ski concierge in a private chalet under the main ski lift in Courchevel 1850
– Location: Six Senses Residences Courchevel is a 90-minute drive from Chambéry Airport, and accessible via TGV, Eurostar and private aircraft
– Pricing: The two-bedroom unit starts at S$3.22m, while the five-bedroom duplex penthouse starts at $13.5m
Can we tempt you with:
Rental income. The four-bedroom chalet at Six Senses Residences Courchevel is achieving yields of €29,000 per week in high season, making this indulgent holiday property also a savvy investment with strong income potential.
Yu Kiroro, Hokkaido
An hour’s drive from the renowned and correspondingly crowded Niseko, Kiroro is perhaps Hokkaido’s top little-known resort. Boasting seasonal snowfall of an astonishing 21m, and moreover, little to no queuing, Kiroro is a powder-lover’s dream. And with just the one resort comprising The Kiroro and Sheraton hotels and the Yu Kiroro residences, there are plenty of dining, spa-ing and après options without the press of a larger town.
The Yu Kiroro residences are part Scandinavian (stone textures and light wood finishes), part Japanese minimalism, and come fully furnished, ready to drop your suitcases and ski out. Spacious and kitted out with the usual, imaginable appliances, all units offers dazzling resort or mountain views.
Yu Kiroro details:
– Number of units: 108
– Launch date: February 2020
– Facilities: 24hr concierge, kids playground, natural hot spring onsen
– Mountain access: Moments to the gondola
– Location: Yu Kiroro is a 100-minute drive from New Chitose Airport
– Pricing: Residences at Yu Kiroro start from 70 million yen (around S$883,000)
Can we tempt you with:
The 2,874 sqft penthouse, complete with 3.8m-high ceilings, a balcony and private rotenburo (otherwise known as an open-air hot spring bath).
address: Tokiwa, Akaigawa, Yoichi District, Hokkaido 046-0571, Japan
Where to now?
- Closer to home, these five new developments bring resort-grade living to D15;
- Although for the full city-resort experience, nothing beats the condos of Sentosa Cove.