The Avenir condo insider review: next level
Rob Quay’s latest launch… Taking over an extensive block on River Valley Close is The Avenir – a new launch condo by developers Hong Leong and GuocoLand.
There’s quite a bit of activity in the area – between the larger new developments of Martin Modern and Rivière, and the more boutique The Iveria. And all of them are positioned as upscale condos, not surprisingly, given the prime location. But The Avenir is certainly the most spacious on offer, and unlike Martin Modern and Rivière, it’s freehold.
The Boulevard Brief
– Who it’s for: Those who crave space, lifestyle, luxury and a freehold legacy home for their family
– What’s to love: Lower-density living: the site is zoned for 600+ apartments, but the developers opted for just 376, with 75% of the site given over to amenities and landscaping
– How much it will set you back: It’s perhaps the top new luxury launch in River Valley, and it shows, with a starting psf $2,914
– Our pick of the crop: The 4 bedroom plus family room apartment, with its wowfactor living room and a kitchen fit for a MasterChef
Skip ahead to the unit mix, facilities, and floorplans
The Avenir key info
- District: D09 Orchard
- Area: Robertson Quay
- Address: 8 River Valley Close, Singapore 238432
- Completion: Aug 2025
- Developers: Hong Leong and GuocoLand
- Tenure: Freehold
- Number of units: 376
- Towers: 2 with 36 storeys
The Avenir unit mix
The Avenir is evenly divided among the unit types, with two stacks of each format excepting the flagship 4 bedroom plus family, of which there’s just the one stack.
|Unit type||Area (sqft)||Volume|
|1 bedroom||527 – 538||69|
|2 bedroom||807 – 829||69|
|3 bedroom (private lift)||1,528 – 1,572||68|
|4 bedroom (private lift)||2,056 – 2067||67|
|4 bedroom + family (private lift)||2,411||34|
The Avenir floorplans
- 1 bedroom units
- 2 bedroom units
- 3 bedroom units
- 3 bedroom units (private lift)
- 4 bedroom units
- 4+1 bedroom units (private lift)
The Avenir 1 bedroom units
Ranging from 527 – 538 sqft, the one-bedroom units are tailored for professional living in a sought-after location.
The Avenir 1 bedroom unit highlights
- The open-plan layout stretches from the kitchen through to the living-dining and seamlessly extends to the balcony
- Luxe appliances include a V-Zug oven and stovetop, and bathroom fittings by Axor and Antonio Lupi
- Strong rental potential considering the neighbourhood and its proximity to the business district
The Avenir 2 bedroom units
The two-bedroom units up the ante with larger entertaining areas and well-proportioned bedrooms.
The Avenir 2 bedroom unit highlights
- Floor-to-ceiling windows in the bedrooms, and a full-width screen door to the balcony
- It’s rare to find a full, separate kitchen in a 2br
- Spacious master bedroom
The Avenir 3 bedroom units
Even the smaller-format 3br units are a good size at 1,140 sqft – and there’s a larger format with private lift.
The Avenir 3 bedroom unit highlights
- Spacious living-dining area
- Great sized kitchen with store room (rare for a 3br)
- Generous bedrooms and a fantastic master
The Avenir 3 bedroom with private lift units
This spacious 3br unit is also well laid out to maximise the useable space.
The Avenir 3 bedroom with private lift unit highlights
- Impressive entertaining space with a large living-dining opening to the balcony, plus the enclosable kitchen
- The master suite is beautiful, large enough for armchairs with a walk-in wardrobe
- The kitchen is also unbelievably large for a 3br unit, and fitted with imported cabinetry by Nova Cucina
- The private junior master bedroom with ensuite occupies its own side of the apartment
The Avenir 4 bedroom units
The generous 2,066 sqft 4 bedroom units is not yet the largest format, but already offers a luxurious level of space and finishes.
The Avenir 4 bedroom unit highlights
- The knockout entertaining area is totally open plan (with no columns)
- A fabulous kitchen with island features an oversized fridge, wine chiller, dishwasher and steamer
- Every bedroom comes with an ensuite – and the junior master again enjoys its own side of the apartment
- Stunning master with large walk-in wardrobe and ensuite bathroom with his and hers vanity
The Avenir 4br with family room units
A mere floor plan doesn’t do justice to the generosity of space. These flagship 4br plus family room apartments must be among the most luxurious new units in River Valley.
The Avenir 4br plus family room unit highlights
- Wowfactor entertaining areas: from the formal living and dining to the wide balcony with river views, to informal family or media room
- Dream kitchen with island and every imaginable appliance
- Unusually generous bedrooms, all with ensuite
- Master bedroom suite with space for a vanity and lounge, large walk-in wardrobe and hotel-grade ensuite
The Avenir interiors
The interiors at The Avenir spell subtle luxury. This much-awaited Hong Leong and GuocoLand development has been designed by ADDP and studioMilou (the architects behind the transformation of Singapore’s National Gallery).
Modern designs combines with a warm and woody colour palette. It’s not every day you see apartments with a 3.2m ceiling height – plus there are floor-to-ceiling windows offering plenty of natural light.
And the kitchen cannot be ignored. Apart from the ample size, the Nova Cucina cabinetry is fitted with top-end V-Zug and De Dietrich appliances. And we love the oversized fridge and lovely wine cooler in the premium apartments.
Even the bathrooms are nothing short of hotel-grade, featuring European fittings by Antonio Lupi and Axor.
The Avenir site plan
It’s not just a prime Robertson Quay site, it’s what developers Hong Leong and GuocoLand are doing with it. The word “exclusivity” is thrown around a lot, but it actually means something when just 376 units are being built on a site that’s zoned for more than 600.
Another benefit of this approach is that 75% of the 129,648 sqft plot is dedicated to high-end facilities and landscaping.
The Avenir facilities
Expect all the luxury condo essentials: from lush gardens (even a herb garden) and 50m lap pool to a clubhouse and concierge, plus further pools, rooftop terrace and – such rarities for River Valley – a tennis court and great lawn.
The Avenir facilities include:
– Putting green
– Great lawn
– Clubhouse (incl. living, dining & concierge)
– 50m lap pool; hydrotherapy pool; wading/kids’ pool
– Spa pavilion & jacuzzi
– Children’s playground
– Bbq pits
– Tennis court
– Roof gardens; herb garden
The Avenir pricing
Needless to say, there is a cost to the lower-density approach, and of course the premium for freehold land. Pricing for The Avenir starts at $2,914 psf, with the lowest quantum being $1.55m – both of which reflect limited starbuy offers.
Recent transactions, per the URA, are as follows.
|Recent transactions (as of May 2020)|
|Price range||$1.6m – $8.42m|
|Price psf range||$2,973 – $3,564|
|Average sale price||$5.06m|
|Average price psf||$3,255|
|Number of transactions||18|
It’s one of those charts you don’t want to be top of; The Avenir certainly commands a higher premium than do nearby developments. But it’s worth noting that Rivière is leasehold to The Avenir’s freehold, and in District 03 (albeit right on the river) against the coveted District 09. And entry pricing at The Avenir is well below that of The Iveria, while the facilities are well in front. So despite the high price point, The Avenir feels reasonable in this light.
Martin Modern makes for an interesting comparison; the facilities and density are equivalent, and GuocoLand is behind both developments. Certainly The Avenir offers larger-format units across the mix. And then you have to price in The Avenir’s freehold tenure…
|Project||Av. Price||Av. Psf||Av. Area||TOP||Tenure|
|Martin Modern||$2.85m||$2,460||1,045||2021||LH 99Y|
|Martin Place Residences||$2.41m||$2,257||1,107||2011||FH|
|Waterford Residence||$2.06m||$1,605||1,273||2011||LH 999Y|
All up, The Avenir promises to be one of River Valley’s most sought-after addresses. It’s not inexpensive, but you pay for what you get. Investors might look at the lower entry pricing of the 1br and 2br units and see opportunity in the high rental potential. Own-stay buyers might look at the rare level of space in the premium apartments.
And everyone should look at the showflat – it really is a must see.
Where to now?