Condo Insider: The Balmoral is everything you want in an older condo
There is something stately, stylish and nostalgic about The Balmoral condo in Tanglin. Its mix of art deco ornaments with brutalist concrete slabs is nothing short of stunning, and the signature cylinders are a joy (they’re bathrooms, by the way).
Big on space with all the facilities you really need (let’s face it, nobody uses a nutmeg grove), The Balmoral is also close to town, minutes from shopping and parked amid some of Singapore’s loveliest, leafiest streets.
Let’s take a closer, longing look…
Inside The Balmoral condo
Well for starters, The Balmoral condo comprises a central tower surrounded by a five-storey perimeter of apartments. (See our guide to high-floor vs low-rise condos if you’re in a pickle as to which to pick.)
Tower apartments command neighbourhood views from this hilltop vantage, while ground-floor duplexes feature porches that spill over into a shared, grassy area (no fences here, so the kids can run amok).
The Balmoral en bloc
Rumours abound of an imminent en bloc sale, but then they have done for some years now. It’s certainly a super-prime location, but for the sake of this architectural stunner we hope the rumours stay just that.
The Balmoral condominium fast facts
- Neighbourhood: Tanglin
- Launched: 1986
- Apartments: 81
- Tenure: Freehold
The Balmoral condo facilities
- Barbecue Area
- Covered car park (perhaps this was more of a standout feature when the condo debuted in 1986)
- Gymnasium room
- Squash court (in keeping with the retro vibe!)
- Swimming and wading pools
- Tennis courts
Where to now?
- You’ll want to check out our Condo Insider editions on Neil Road’s Spottiswoode Residences, the East Coast Meyerise condominium, and River Valley’s The Wharf Residence condo;
- And then perhaps dash over to the condos of Sentosa Cove; or this shiny line-up of high-end East Coast condos;
- Before taking a stroll down Singapore’s blue-ribbon street of Cluny Park;
- And lastly, lamenting the forthcoming loss of this gorgeous retro condo, The Makeview.